BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Friday, February 15, 2008

One Child**

I'd like to introduce my new friend, E...I met her a few weeks ago in the Plaza (town square). She was outside of a bank looking through the window and the guard came out to shoo her away, so she wouldn't disturb the customers by begging as they came out the door.

I happened to have a bag of sweet breads in my hands, so I called to her and got her attention. She crossed the street to where I was waiting and thankfully took the pieces of bread I offered. As she ate, I asked her about her life, with the help of my friend Dahlia, who translated.

E is 12 years old and was abandoned on the streets of Butuan, along with her siblings, by her mother when she was only six. Her father had all ready died. After some time, she was "adopted" by an American and his Filipina wife. Apparently she was well taken care of in that home and was happy. However, after the American died, she was thrown out of the house by the wife's mother, because of money issues. So she went back to life on the streets.

On the day I met her she asked me if she could come home with me. I can't explain what went through my mind at that point...but I knew I couldn't say yes. Praise the LORD, I all ready knew what hope I could give her. I told her about Project Destiny Drop-In Center. I told her about what kinds of things we'd do there...that we would feed her there...that she'd be safe there.

Before I left, with the help of Dahlia, I told her that I would look for her when I was in the city, and that she should look for me...that I would love to talk to her more.

The next day Teresa and I were doing errands in that part of the city, and we ate our lunch at Red Apple. (If you ever come to visit, I'll take you there...it's an interesting experience.:)) We had leftovers we were leaving the restaurant with, and Teresa was so excited about what I had told her about E. So we decided to look for her in the Plaza. She wasn't there, unfortunately, but we met some of her other friends...so we gave the chicken and rice (and brownie) to them and asked them to please tell E that Ate Susan would be back tomorrow around lunchtime to see her.

So I bought one loaf of bread, two cans of tuna, some sandwich spread and a can of juice. The next day, I made baggies of diluted juice (they probably don't drink enough water) and a bag of tuna sandwiches.

I looked at the small little pile of food on the table and wondered if it would be enough for the kids that might be there after it got around that an American was coming for lunch. But I just decided to trust that God knew who would be there and how much was needed, and that I was just going to be faithful with my "loaves and fish."

So off I went, alone. (We were having about 12 lunch guests in our house, so Teresa was needed there to serve them.) When I got to the Plaza, I was relieved to see that there weren't 50 kids waiting for me. The number was closer to 15... E was happy to see me, and a little bit shy, while she watched me the food away. I was amazed to see that there were more than enough sandwiches (one kid got 3!) and at the end, there was enough juice for every child there (plus the 2 adults), with one bag leftover.

I didn't preach, I didn't mention church or the Bible. I just simply passed out smiles, kind words and a bit of food. I remembered Jesus words about giving someone a drink of water...that it is like giving Him water. So I thanked Him that I was able to love these kids in His name. I told them about the center...and I hope to see them there one day. Relationship has been established.

I haven't seen E since that day. But I do look for her. I wonder if she's ok. I wonder if she ate today. I wonder if someone is hurting her. (It's well known in Butuan City that if you want sex with a child, you go to the Plaza.)

Please pray for E and her friends. She is one of more than 2,000 street kids in this city alone. Please pray for Butuan City. Please pray for the street kids all over the world today.

**edited to change her name, for her protection.

0 comments: